Palliative Care At Mon General Hospital
What Is Palliative Care?
Palliative care is a multidisciplinary approach designed to maintain dignity and the best quality of life possible by:
- Relieving pain, stress and other symptoms of a serious illness.
- Providing support to patients and their families.
- Discussing treatment goals so the patient or family members can make informed decisions on treatment and therapies.
- Providing other resources in addition to clinical care to help the patient live the best life they can with a serious/chronic condition.
- Educating patients and caregivers regarding their illness.
The goal is to treat the whole person, not only to meet medical needs, but emotional, spiritual and social needs as well.
Palliative Care Is Not Hospice Care
Palliative care differs from hospice care. However, hospice care can be a part of palliative care.
- Hospice care is brought into a patient’s final months of life. Palliative care is available at any stage of an illness.
- The patient does not need to be enrolled in a hospice care program or at the end of life to benefit from palliative care.
Palliative care can help patients and their families achieve a better quality of life and maintain their dignity.
Who is on the Palliative Care Team?
The palliative care team includes:
What Can Palliative Care Offer?
- Nurse Practitioners
- Social Workers
- Case Managers
- Unit Nurses
- Critical Care Specialists
Palliative Care provides supportive care for patients and their families, such as:
How can I get more information about the Palliative Care Program
- Pain and Symptom Management
Using traditional and complementary approaches.
- Spiritual Care
Respecting each patient’s beliefs
- Advanced Care Planning
Beneficial vs non-beneficial treatments
Comfort and counseling
Maintaining quality of life and dignity
- Care Coordination
Identify/coordinate the care plan
- Emotional Support
Assist with difficult decisions by
listening and educating.
This support is for patients, their families and caregivers.
at Mon General Hospital?