Gastric Emptying Study
- Your doctor will instruct you to stop taking some of your medications for 48 hours prior to this exam. Follow your doctor’s instructions on which medicines to continue taking.
- You cannot have this exam if you are allergic to eggs, gluten, or wheat.
- Arrive at the hospital 30 minutes before your exam is scheduled. Ask the scheduler what time that is.
Bring with you when you come for your test:
- Complete list of medications you are currently taking – name and dosage of each medication, and when you take it.
- Written physician’s order for the test.
On the day of the test:
- Come in through the main entrance of Mon General Hospital and to the Radiology Services registration desk, down the hallway to the right.
- Plan to be at the hospital for approximately three hours for this procedure.
During the exam:
- You will be given a special sandwich to eat over a short period of time (less than seven minutes).
- Then you will lie flat on a table for imaging, for at least two hours.
For more information on nuclear medicine, visit http://healthlibrary.mongeneral.com/Search/85,P01290
Or call the Mon General Nuclear Medicine Department at (304) 598-1280.