- You must drink 32 ounces of fluid one hour before your exam is scheduled to begin, and you must NOT empty your bladder before the exam.
- Arrive at the hospital 30 minutes before your exam is scheduled. (Ask the scheduler what time that is.)
Bring with you to the hospital:
- Complete list of medications you are currently taking – name and dosage of each medication, and when you take it.
- Written physician’s order for the exam.
On the day of your exam:
- Come in through the main entrance of Mon General Hospital and go to the Radiology Services registration desk, down the hallway to the right of the lobby.
- If you are having a hard time keeping your bladder full, let the registration person know when you check in so they can speed up the process. You will be allowed to empty your bladder as soon as all images are obtained.
- Plan to be at the hospital for approximately one hour and a half hours.
During your exam:
- You will lie flat on a table, and the technologist will place a cool gel on the area being studied, then will obtain images.
- For female patients, it may be necessary to do trans-vaginal imaging, which involves placing a small probe into the vagina. If necessary, the technologist will explain this.
After your exam:
- To receive the results of your ultrasound, contact your physician who ordered the exam. Your technologist cannot give you any results.
For more information, call the Mon General Ultrasound Department at (304) 598-1280.